Now is a great time to consider boosting your immune system and your family’s in preparation for the months ahead.
With changes in seasons, changes in temperature are inevitable, cooler or warmer temperatures, damp conditions and reduced daylight hours can be quite testing for most of us. If your immune system is not in balance, you can become more vulnerable to picking up a range of illnesses and infections at this turning times of the year.
The immune system has to be in good condition to perform its functions. A deficient immune system, leads to acute diseases like common cold and flu, which potentially can lead to more serious conditions. A hyperactive immune system will, on the other hand, cause autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis where the body starts attacking its own cells.
Homeopathic remedies help to naturally boost our immune system and keep it functioning at optimal levels. They stimulate the body’s natural defenses and promote the body’s healing response, to assist the body in repairing any imbalances that may have occurred.
The focus of treatment emphasis on treating an individual as a whole, rather than providing temporary and quick relief.
Some common ailments include:
Colds, coughs and flu
Not only can homeopathy help treat colds, coughs and flu when they are in full stream, but it can also be used as a preventative to help boost your immune system and improve your general health so that you become less susceptible to picking up “all that is going around”.
Undergoing a constitutional case taking and commencing your constitutional remedy is the first step to improve your immunity and immune response. Remember, it is healthy for children to catch approximately 5 viruses a year (adults approx. 2) because this is how we build natural immunity. Thus, it is not coming down with an illness that is a sign of imbalanced health, but rather the duration and how successful your immune system fights a virus that can point to lower immunity.
Your Child’s Health
Homeopathy is an excellent choice of healthcare for boosting your child’s immune system naturally too. It provides another natural alternative to avoid indiscriminate use of antibiotics.
Not only can it help when your child is ill, but when their immune system is stronger it can help them avoid repeated illnesses, infections and picking up everything that is going around.
Homeopathic remedies are safe and effective for children. They are gentle, non toxic, with no side effects and are easy to administer.
Autumn or Winter Blues
For some people this time of year can highlight feelings of sadness, depression, melancholy, loneliness and isolation. For others a condition known as Seasonal Affective Disorder is common and can range from mild to debilitating, at times requiring medical treatment. Homeopathy can offer a range of help and support both short and long term with these emotional issues.
Low Energy, Tiredness, Sleep Problems
Many people complain of low energy, feeling tired or sluggish as more time is spent in central heated buildings, as we tend to want to hibernate. Being stuck indoors in stuffy environments can subject us to more pollutants and allergens. Getting outdoors can be enough to revitalize the mind and body but if you feel stuck then Homeopathy might be just what you need.
The cold damp weather can create debilitating aggravations for suffers of rheumatic diseases such as arthritis. There are many remedies that can be used to help reduce the severity of symptoms and help maintain joint mobility.
Those with asthma can often find their symptoms are triggered more so during the cold windy months and repeated chest infections can become the norm. Asthma in kids restricts their life in terms of playing and doing activities where more strenuous breathing is required.
Homeopathic treatment can manage the tendency of chronic recurrence. These medicines also reduce the frequency and intensity of the asthma symptoms. Where required, homeopathy also focuses on addressing allergic tendencies (which are a cause of asthma) by moderating the immune system.
Made of natural substances, these medicines do not cause any side effects and can be treated n a safe, effective manner. Homeopathic treatment for asthma can be used alongside conventional medicine in acute cases of asthma without the danger of drug interaction.
Tips to boost your immune system
Other supports that can be used to boost your immune response during the autumn months include
- A healthy diet,
2. Vitamin C daily to help your body build white blood cells which help fight against invading germs.
3. Drink your lemons Lemon is the ideal food for restoring acid-alkali balance. Drink freshly squeezed lemon juice in water, or adding it to tea, salad dressings (in place of vinegar), baking or cooking. Lemon helps maintain the body’s internal “climate” at a pH that supports healthy bacteria instead of harmful bacteria and viruses, which thrive in more acidic environments. Apple cider vinegar is another great way to improve your body’s alkalinity, but the taste of lemons is much more pleasant for children.
4. Step out into Nature. Exercise can make a noticeable difference to your health and happiness by releasing endorphins. Most of us spend 90% of our lives indoors, inhaling filtered air and other people’s germs, so take every opportunity to get outside. Time spent outdoors in the cold also stimulates the thyroid gland. Make the most of the sunlight and take a brisk walk in the natural daylight alternatively, walk barefoot for 20 min or do yoga. Yoga not only can help rejuvenate and re-energize your mind and body, but can also significantly lift your spirits.
5. Sauna for up to 20 minutes. The carbon infrared sauna will keep your body healthy by detoxing a whole lot of toxins.
6. Stock up on raw fruits and vegetables for their antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fiber and enzymes. The nutritional content that you receive from raw fruits and veggies is unparalleled. Many vitamins, including C, are antioxidants and will protect cells – including those of your immune system – from damage by toxins in the environment. Dark-colored produce (berries, kale, and broccoli) tend to be higher in flavonoids, polyphenols and other antioxidants. The perfect source of minerals is seaweed. Add seaweed to your rice as it cooks to help reap some of the benefits from your sea vegetables.
7. Oil of Oregano: has powerful antiviral and antimicrobial activity.
8. Echinacea: enhances immune function and dries up mucus.
9. Vitamin D: an amazingly effective antimicrobial agent. It is now believed one potential symptom of vitamin D deficiency is catching a cold, flu, or other infection. The best source of vitamin D is direct sun exposure; if this is not possible oral supplementation is advisable.
10. Beta-Carotene: protects and heals mucus membranes.
11. Zinc: soothes and heals sore throat and is an immune booster
Prevention is better than cure!!! So if you have a tendency to recurring health problems during the colder months, it is best to treat the underlying cause, rather than just symptoms that manifest. If the immune system can be strengthened then the body will no longer need to produce troublesome ailments.
However if you do fall ill or have a flare up, “acute” remedies can be used to bring more immediate relief while the immune response is building and improving.
Benefits of Homeopathy
The benefits of homeopathy are many. Professionally prescribed homeopathic remedies can safely be used in conjunction with conventional medication. Homeopathic remedies have no side effects, are non-addictive, are not tested on animals and are eco-friendly.